Coronavirus face masks made with silk are better than cotton, study finds: Silk is not only comfortable but also is breathable and repels moisture, the researchers said. Published Sept 30, 2020.
Silk Offers Homemade Solution for COVID-19 Prevention – More Protection Than Cotton Face Masks. Published September 22, 20202.
Why silk face masks are better for your skin. Published September 5, 2020.
Silk Most Effective as Face Covering: Silk useful as face mask and PPE in COVID-19. Published June 30, 2020
- Silk is the most effective at preventing the penetration of droplets, and the least absorptive of water, because of its intensely hydrophobic character compared to the other fabrics tested.
- Inherent antiviral, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, as well as the thinness of the material even when used in multiple layers.
- Silk contains natural antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral properties that could help ward off the virus.
- Cotton traps moisture like a sponge. But silk is breathable. It’s thinner than cotton and dries really fast.
- Silk also does not irritate the skin or increase local humidity around the face beneath it, making it suitable for prolonged wear, and avoiding accidental stimulation of face touching.
- Switch to a silk face covering wherever possible. It causes the least friction of any fabric, which helps to prevent minor skin wounds on the cheeks and nose that heal over, clogging pores and causing spots in the process.